Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Open Hearts

All of you really encourge me.

I find it interesting that, rather than posting comments to this site, a lot of readers choose instead to email me directly.

The reason this is intriguing is the nature of the emails. All of them have been from people who are genuinely concerned about my own personal struggles. Rather than post their concerns in a public forum, these readers send me private bolstering notes.

I am so touched by this. It says two things about you. The first is that the people reading the blog are sensitive souls, and also fellow "children" in the Kingdom. The second is that, rather than post a comment that might be misinterpreted, readers choose to email, for fear that they might hurt my feelings in a public forum.

I need to be very honest -- you won't hurt my feelings, and you won't hurt the friendship. This is meant to be a place where everyone can share their concerns honestly so that we can air the issues that are plagueing us as we try to love people into God's grace.

Having said that, I'd like to share a really insightful email from one reader (who will remain anonymous). This addresses the earlier question of whether we are wasting our time with atheists. Take a look at her points (which are very good!).

Does this raise any questions for you, validate your beliefs or crystalize the issue?

It did help me a lot!

Here it is for your consideration ...

"Hi there - I visited your new blog. Very cool. Are you really
trading constructive dialogue from one of the authors of the atheist
blog? Constructive being the operative word here.

The reason I asked is because I've been reading Matthew and I was just talking to (my husband) about one part in it that makes me think of you and your dialogue with this guy.

First, please understand I'm not challenging you in anyway, I just
want your point of view on this.

In Matthew 10 vs 5-8 'Don't begin by traveling to some far off place
to convert unbelievers. And don't try to be dramatic by tackling some
public enemy. Go to the lost and confused people right here in the
neighborhood. Tell them the kingdom is here.'

And Matthew 10 vs 12-15 'when you knock on a door, be courteous in
your greeting. If they welcome you, be gentle in your conversation.
If they don't welcome you, quietly withdraw. Don't make a scene,
shrug your shoulders and be on your way. You can be sure that of
Judgement Day they'll be mighty sorry-but it's no concern of yours
now'

So, that said,how I saw that - (and I had this conversation with
my husband right BEFORE you posted about the atheist website, odd how
things happen....) anyway I how I interpreted that is Jesus was
telling his disciples to minister to those on the edge so to speak,
not the hard core, defying, unbelievingtypes. Made sense to me, you can't save everybody so help the ones most likely to be receptive your help. Help me understand, please!!

I am stuggling a bit with consistency, but do read from my Bible most days. What I get from it is amazing. The days I do read are more balanced and I seem to feel better about my actions. It's AMAZING. I am really enjoying reading Matthew.....lots of food for though in there.... "



So what are your thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment